Skip to main content

#22 Lindisfarne - Happy Daze

 Elektra, 1974

Genre: Folk Rock


Lindisfarne is a folk rock group out of the UK. This record is a fun mix of tunes with a more North American vibe (think The Band) and tunes with a pronounced Irish influence. All of it's good, but I particularly enjoy the Irish ones, like "Nelly".

Dad gave me this record, and a couple other Lindisfarne ones, mostly because of my interest in Irish music. I love having them in my collection, as the shifting styles keep things interesting and the listening is overall good. For some reason it always makes me think of a video I once saw of the Horslips doing an electric rendition of King of the Fairies on a Dublin rooftop.  They're not related, but I do always think of it, so I thought I should mention it in my album reflection!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#73 Tyrannosaurus Rex - Unicorn

Blue Thumb Records, 1969 Psychedelic Acoustic Folk This album is very important to me. Those who know me, know I am fond of T Rex, but this pre T recording is extra special. I first remember hearing it in grade 8, and I fell in love with it entirely. It resonated with me a on strangley personal level, considering how far out the lyrics are. Warlord of the Royal Crocodiles was my jam. My friends were forced to listen to poorly dubbed cassettes every weekend, because that was the easiest way to copy and share music on the North Mountain in 1998.  I had always listened to my dad's record (from whence came the cassette) and didn't have my own copy when I moved out, so I was very excited when I found it at Taz---the old spot on, what was it, Grafton? Two locations ago. It was like finding treasure, though I spose that's always what second-hand vinyl shopping feels like to me. Maybe it was more like finding the Arkenstone. I remember being super excited, and Bob telli...

#82 Herman's Hermits - On Tour

MGM, 1965 60s Pop Rock Every now and then when I have a guest over, I pull out Herman's Hermits. It's a safe pull---a classic band that's fun and easy.  I always enjoy spinning this record, and "For Your Love" is a friccing amazing track. I don't have much to say, really, but it's staying in the collection. 

#3 - John Allan Cameron - Weddings, Wakes and Other Things

 Released 1976, Columbia Records. Category: Cape Breton Folk, Country, Canadiana   This was the 3rd random pull, and I'm grateful, because this album perfectly reflects why I am doing this complete collection countdown. It's not a record I was super familiar with---it was given to me by my Dad as a Canadian classic. Of course John Allan Cameron is a household name in much of Nova Scotia, but I'm not sure if I've ever sat down and listened to the whole thing before. Of the two records, I liked the second better, as it was a little more traditional and I like that vibe. That said, the first was also very good, in more of a 70s folk / country way. There are some songs I will definitely be humming to myself later.  Perhaps the nicest discovery of this album? John Allan Cameron signed the records, autographing one for my father and my mother. It was a sweet little surprise!