Skip to main content

#30 Los Saicos - Demolicion!

Munster, 2010
Genre: Garage rock, Peruvian garage-surf

I can't remember exactly how I got turned on to Los Saicos, but I remember getting the record. It must have been summer 2013, right before I moved back to Halifax from the country. I bought it and The Monks - Black Monk Time at a record store in Toronto, at quite a cost. I remember this because of the odd coincidence that Paul, my new roommate in Hali, also knew about and was enthusiastic about this band. It resulted in some great living room listening. Jake also started playing them up at Gus's pub, so I guess maybe it was one of those "in the know" kinda things. Must've been name dropped to me at some point by a fellow psych-garage enthusiast.

I was huge into psych-garage and power pop at that time (in fact, I still am), and Los Saicos are an excellent band in this genre. They're fun, rocky, and far out. The tunes are melodic and catchy,  and there are lots of crazy psychedelic hoots and wails, a la Roky Erikson. I never get tired of it, even though I've now heard it many, many times. No regrets about this purchase.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#73 Tyrannosaurus Rex - Unicorn

Blue Thumb Records, 1969 Psychedelic Acoustic Folk This album is very important to me. Those who know me, know I am fond of T Rex, but this pre T recording is extra special. I first remember hearing it in grade 8, and I fell in love with it entirely. It resonated with me a on strangley personal level, considering how far out the lyrics are. Warlord of the Royal Crocodiles was my jam. My friends were forced to listen to poorly dubbed cassettes every weekend, because that was the easiest way to copy and share music on the North Mountain in 1998.  I had always listened to my dad's record (from whence came the cassette) and didn't have my own copy when I moved out, so I was very excited when I found it at Taz---the old spot on, what was it, Grafton? Two locations ago. It was like finding treasure, though I spose that's always what second-hand vinyl shopping feels like to me. Maybe it was more like finding the Arkenstone. I remember being super excited, and Bob telli...

#82 Herman's Hermits - On Tour

MGM, 1965 60s Pop Rock Every now and then when I have a guest over, I pull out Herman's Hermits. It's a safe pull---a classic band that's fun and easy.  I always enjoy spinning this record, and "For Your Love" is a friccing amazing track. I don't have much to say, really, but it's staying in the collection. 

#3 - John Allan Cameron - Weddings, Wakes and Other Things

 Released 1976, Columbia Records. Category: Cape Breton Folk, Country, Canadiana   This was the 3rd random pull, and I'm grateful, because this album perfectly reflects why I am doing this complete collection countdown. It's not a record I was super familiar with---it was given to me by my Dad as a Canadian classic. Of course John Allan Cameron is a household name in much of Nova Scotia, but I'm not sure if I've ever sat down and listened to the whole thing before. Of the two records, I liked the second better, as it was a little more traditional and I like that vibe. That said, the first was also very good, in more of a 70s folk / country way. There are some songs I will definitely be humming to myself later.  Perhaps the nicest discovery of this album? John Allan Cameron signed the records, autographing one for my father and my mother. It was a sweet little surprise!