Skip to main content

#31 Henry Purcell - Come Ye Sons of Art / The Bell Anthem / My Beloved Spake - Anthem

Performed by Alfred Deller and soloists of the Deller Consort

Vanguard, 1962
Genre: Baroque, English classical

Questions I would like to ask my Grandad: How did you come to have such an appreciation for classical music? 

Grandad, from whom I believe I likely inherited this album, loved classical music, and had quite an extensive collection. Being as he grew up Irish Catholic in NS, with (to the best of my knowledge) little artistic or cultural influence, I find it interesting that he developed such  refined taste. I am glad that he did, as I now get to share in that love!

Baroque has never been my favourite musical genre, but I quite like this. It is subtler than many recordings I've heard of work from that era----it's not all about ostentatious frills and runs. It's simpler, and quite beautiful. The vocalists are truly impressive. Also, as a neat little addition, the lyrics to some of the tunes are printed on the back, so if you ever dreamed of being a 15th century British choralist, you can sing along and imagine to your heart's content 💙❤

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#73 Tyrannosaurus Rex - Unicorn

Blue Thumb Records, 1969 Psychedelic Acoustic Folk This album is very important to me. Those who know me, know I am fond of T Rex, but this pre T recording is extra special. I first remember hearing it in grade 8, and I fell in love with it entirely. It resonated with me a on strangley personal level, considering how far out the lyrics are. Warlord of the Royal Crocodiles was my jam. My friends were forced to listen to poorly dubbed cassettes every weekend, because that was the easiest way to copy and share music on the North Mountain in 1998.  I had always listened to my dad's record (from whence came the cassette) and didn't have my own copy when I moved out, so I was very excited when I found it at Taz---the old spot on, what was it, Grafton? Two locations ago. It was like finding treasure, though I spose that's always what second-hand vinyl shopping feels like to me. Maybe it was more like finding the Arkenstone. I remember being super excited, and Bob telli...

#3 - John Allan Cameron - Weddings, Wakes and Other Things

 Released 1976, Columbia Records. Category: Cape Breton Folk, Country, Canadiana   This was the 3rd random pull, and I'm grateful, because this album perfectly reflects why I am doing this complete collection countdown. It's not a record I was super familiar with---it was given to me by my Dad as a Canadian classic. Of course John Allan Cameron is a household name in much of Nova Scotia, but I'm not sure if I've ever sat down and listened to the whole thing before. Of the two records, I liked the second better, as it was a little more traditional and I like that vibe. That said, the first was also very good, in more of a 70s folk / country way. There are some songs I will definitely be humming to myself later.  Perhaps the nicest discovery of this album? John Allan Cameron signed the records, autographing one for my father and my mother. It was a sweet little surprise!

#32 Prokofieff, Strauss - Peter and the Wolf, Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks

Camden, year unknown Genre: Classical Performed by the Boston Symphony conducted by Serge Koussevitzky, narrated by Richard Hale This lp is in terrible condition---even after cleaning, it's crackling and hiccoughing, even skipping. It's tough, because I LOVE this recording, but this one will have to be purged.  Let it be known, however, that this lp has been loved. It was a formative education piece for me, teaching me both about music and about narrative.  It also taught me that you should always watch you back in unfamiliar places, and not underestimate the unknowns in your surroundings. It also taught me that representing animals with instruments is hilarious. Dad listened to it when he was a kid, and played it for us when we were kids. Maybe I'll make some kind of art with this one.