Skip to main content

#39 Neko Case - Blacklisted


Lance Rock Records, 2002
Alternative Rock, Folk Rock

This record is a big one for me. Its release aligned with some pretty significant life events, and reflected them in a meaningful way. Jillian introduced me to this record in 2003, and I was immediately captivated by the opening lines: 

Fluorescent lights engage
Blackbirds frying on a wire
Same birds that followed me to school when I was young
Were they trying to tell me something?
Were they telling me to run?


In the Spring preceding my encounter with this record, I was followed by a black bird on my way to school. It seemed to be warning me of something. That day, a series of events kicked off that would make the next four years of my life very challenging. It was such a strange thing, and when  I heard this record, I felt like someone else got it.

Also just a stellar record. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#58 The Monks - Black Time

Reissue on International Polydor, 2011 60s Garage Rock, Psych Garage I picked up this album in Toronto - maybe on 2013? Around then, anyway. I was doing a deep dive into early Psychedelic Garage bands and this one came up on some archive, with a fascinating story. Apparently (and I have not done any kind of updated fact check, so I'm going on what I read back then) these guys were American GIs in Vietnam who defected and ended up in Germany, where they shaved their pates and started this rock n roll band. As far as albums go, it's an interesting piece, but not my favourite record in the genre. I like all the bass and rolling beats, but some of the lyrics rub me the wrong way. I recognize, of course, that it is a product of a time and place. Regardless, I like to spin it now and again, so it makes the cut.

#76 The Count Basie Trio - For the First Time

Pablo Records, 1975 Jazz This record has become a staple in our household. Stu and I both love jazz, so we play it often. I had forgotten I owned this, believe it or not --- it must have been gifted to me by Dad with a few other records. As such, it was a delightful surprise when I pulled out and gave it a spin.  This record is banger right from the beginning. High energy, great sound, interesting variety of tunes. Count Basie is a piano master, and this album really showcases that skill. Sometimes I think trios are the best, because everyone has a chance to really shine. If you are a jazz fan, make sure to give this record a listen.

#26 Boney M. - Nightflight to Venus

Hansa, 1978 Genre: Disco This is another party classic, and made its appearance on Halloween. Who doesn't love a good dance to "Rasputin"?  I think this record is remarkable in many ways, not the least of which is the catchy tunes. The situational background is also  interesting: A German musician brings together a group of Carribean performers to tour Europe, make a video in the Societ Union, sing in English, and record a record that will be a huge hit in the UK and North America. There's lots of fascinating layers of culture and history there.