Skip to main content

#73 Tyrannosaurus Rex - Unicorn


Blue Thumb Records, 1969
Psychedelic Acoustic Folk

This album is very important to me.

Those who know me, know I am fond of T Rex, but this pre T recording is extra special. I first remember hearing it in grade 8, and I fell in love with it entirely. It resonated with me a on strangley personal level, considering how far out the lyrics are. Warlord of the Royal Crocodiles was my jam. My friends were forced to listen to poorly dubbed cassettes every weekend, because that was the easiest way to copy and share music on the North Mountain in 1998. 

I had always listened to my dad's record (from whence came the cassette) and didn't have my own copy when I moved out, so I was very excited when I found it at Taz---the old spot on, what was it, Grafton? Two locations ago. It was like finding treasure, though I spose that's always what second-hand vinyl shopping feels like to me. Maybe it was more like finding the Arkenstone. I remember being super excited, and Bob telling me that it wasn't that rare a record, and me still feeling magical anyway.

I listened to this the other day---really listened. I sat in my grampa's chair, with Turtle on my lap, and did noting BUT listen. And man, the album is even more of an experience than I remembered. The audio is remarkably clean and creatively mixed, and the acoustics sound like you could be hanging out in the same room. Somehow I always feel like Marc Bolan is speaking to me directly ❤️

To sum up, this album is super weird and I love love love it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#82 Herman's Hermits - On Tour

MGM, 1965 60s Pop Rock Every now and then when I have a guest over, I pull out Herman's Hermits. It's a safe pull---a classic band that's fun and easy.  I always enjoy spinning this record, and "For Your Love" is a friccing amazing track. I don't have much to say, really, but it's staying in the collection. 

#3 - John Allan Cameron - Weddings, Wakes and Other Things

 Released 1976, Columbia Records. Category: Cape Breton Folk, Country, Canadiana   This was the 3rd random pull, and I'm grateful, because this album perfectly reflects why I am doing this complete collection countdown. It's not a record I was super familiar with---it was given to me by my Dad as a Canadian classic. Of course John Allan Cameron is a household name in much of Nova Scotia, but I'm not sure if I've ever sat down and listened to the whole thing before. Of the two records, I liked the second better, as it was a little more traditional and I like that vibe. That said, the first was also very good, in more of a 70s folk / country way. There are some songs I will definitely be humming to myself later.  Perhaps the nicest discovery of this album? John Allan Cameron signed the records, autographing one for my father and my mother. It was a sweet little surprise!