Skip to main content

#24 - Gypsophilia - Constellation

Forward Records, 2011

Category: Jazz, Klezmer, Folk

What a great record this is. I always enjoy giving this one a spin, whether on my own or having fun with friends. It's awesome that this group is Nova Scotian.

I have a great memory of seeing this band live in Margaretsville, at the Volunteer Fire Department, which used to house Fundy Folk back in the day before the Evergreen Theatre took over the musical mantle. It was David O'Leary's birthday party, and what a time it was. Me, Juele, Megan, Leah, and a number of my old crew were there, as well as my most excellent parents and other beloved community members. We were there, and we danced. My, did we dance. Why? Because we were listening to Gypsophilia!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#73 Tyrannosaurus Rex - Unicorn

Blue Thumb Records, 1969 Psychedelic Acoustic Folk This album is very important to me. Those who know me, know I am fond of T Rex, but this pre T recording is extra special. I first remember hearing it in grade 8, and I fell in love with it entirely. It resonated with me a on strangley personal level, considering how far out the lyrics are. Warlord of the Royal Crocodiles was my jam. My friends were forced to listen to poorly dubbed cassettes every weekend, because that was the easiest way to copy and share music on the North Mountain in 1998.  I had always listened to my dad's record (from whence came the cassette) and didn't have my own copy when I moved out, so I was very excited when I found it at Taz---the old spot on, what was it, Grafton? Two locations ago. It was like finding treasure, though I spose that's always what second-hand vinyl shopping feels like to me. Maybe it was more like finding the Arkenstone. I remember being super excited, and Bob telli...

#3 - John Allan Cameron - Weddings, Wakes and Other Things

 Released 1976, Columbia Records. Category: Cape Breton Folk, Country, Canadiana   This was the 3rd random pull, and I'm grateful, because this album perfectly reflects why I am doing this complete collection countdown. It's not a record I was super familiar with---it was given to me by my Dad as a Canadian classic. Of course John Allan Cameron is a household name in much of Nova Scotia, but I'm not sure if I've ever sat down and listened to the whole thing before. Of the two records, I liked the second better, as it was a little more traditional and I like that vibe. That said, the first was also very good, in more of a 70s folk / country way. There are some songs I will definitely be humming to myself later.  Perhaps the nicest discovery of this album? John Allan Cameron signed the records, autographing one for my father and my mother. It was a sweet little surprise!

#92 Dave Brubeck ft. Gerry Mulligan, Paul Desmond, Alan Dawson, Jack Six - We're All Together Again for the First Time

Atlantic, 1973 Jazz, Bop I wish I could remember how I came by this one. I was absolutely delighted to find it in my collection, if a little unsettled that I could forget such an acquisition.  This is a solid offering, if a little frenetic. I have to be in the right mood, but then I am enthralled.