Skip to main content

#68 The Clash - Combat Rock


Epic, 1982
Garage Punk, dub punk

The Clash have been one of my favs since high school. I have many fine memories related to this album, though I don't recall precisely when I picked up the actual record. I used to sing "Rock the Casbah" and "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" at Bearly's karaoke, back when that was a thing my pals and I did every week. Bearly's karaoke was (and probably still is) the best. I also used to play this album loudly to drown out the sounds of an enthusiastic roommate's love-making hehe.

It's a great record. Not the one that made me fall in love with the band (London Calling takes that cake), but a fine album nonetheless. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#73 Tyrannosaurus Rex - Unicorn

Blue Thumb Records, 1969 Psychedelic Acoustic Folk This album is very important to me. Those who know me, know I am fond of T Rex, but this pre T recording is extra special. I first remember hearing it in grade 8, and I fell in love with it entirely. It resonated with me a on strangley personal level, considering how far out the lyrics are. Warlord of the Royal Crocodiles was my jam. My friends were forced to listen to poorly dubbed cassettes every weekend, because that was the easiest way to copy and share music on the North Mountain in 1998.  I had always listened to my dad's record (from whence came the cassette) and didn't have my own copy when I moved out, so I was very excited when I found it at Taz---the old spot on, what was it, Grafton? Two locations ago. It was like finding treasure, though I spose that's always what second-hand vinyl shopping feels like to me. Maybe it was more like finding the Arkenstone. I remember being super excited, and Bob telli...

#3 - John Allan Cameron - Weddings, Wakes and Other Things

 Released 1976, Columbia Records. Category: Cape Breton Folk, Country, Canadiana   This was the 3rd random pull, and I'm grateful, because this album perfectly reflects why I am doing this complete collection countdown. It's not a record I was super familiar with---it was given to me by my Dad as a Canadian classic. Of course John Allan Cameron is a household name in much of Nova Scotia, but I'm not sure if I've ever sat down and listened to the whole thing before. Of the two records, I liked the second better, as it was a little more traditional and I like that vibe. That said, the first was also very good, in more of a 70s folk / country way. There are some songs I will definitely be humming to myself later.  Perhaps the nicest discovery of this album? John Allan Cameron signed the records, autographing one for my father and my mother. It was a sweet little surprise!

#92 Dave Brubeck ft. Gerry Mulligan, Paul Desmond, Alan Dawson, Jack Six - We're All Together Again for the First Time

Atlantic, 1973 Jazz, Bop I wish I could remember how I came by this one. I was absolutely delighted to find it in my collection, if a little unsettled that I could forget such an acquisition.  This is a solid offering, if a little frenetic. I have to be in the right mood, but then I am enthralled.